Now there's an alternative to Bing -- not a competitor, just an alternative. It's called Huxley. It's relatively new, having started in Minnesota in 2023 and just now reaching Colorado. It's a regional energy drink, like Bing in Colorado and Guru in Canada.
Like Bing, Huxley is made with real fruit juice, 11 percent versus Bing's 5 percent. Like Bing, Huxley is sweetened with only 5 grams of cane sugar and has only 40 calories. Like Bing, Huxley has a modest amount of caffeine, 90 mg versus Bing's 120 mg. (Remember, an 8-ounce cup of coffee has 96-195 mg).
Huxley has a few other selling points: its caffeine is derived from the cascara coffee bean, making it supposedly better than regular caffeine. Eh. I'm a chemical engineer; to me, caffeine is caffeine. It also contains l-theanine, which is supposed to moderate the buzz from that initial caffeine hit, and electrolytes to counteract the dehydrating effect of caffeine. I'm skeptical about those last two claims, but we'll see.
Bing also contains electrolytes, plus a full suite of B vitamins. As I've said before, we buy energy drinks for the caffeine and the sugar.
Bing also contains electrolytes, plus a full suite of B vitamins. As I've said before, we buy energy drinks for the caffeine and the sugar.
Huxley's primary claim is that it tastes good. As I wrote previously, one of the things I like best about Bing is the way it tastes. Like Bing, Huxley has a small product line, featuring only four flavors (so far): Peach, Mango, Strawberry, and Tangerine. I will be doing some, ahem, empirical research in the next few weeks to see if Huxley's claim is valid. I will update this entry with the results of my research.
As far as price is concerned, the regular prices of Huxley and Bing are more or less equal.
![]() |
| Variety pack shown, does not include Peach |

No comments:
Post a Comment