Tuesday, October 15, 2019

The Seven-Day Book Cover Challenge, Day One: The Lord of the Rings

Preface

This began as one of those viral challenges on Facebook: post the covers of seven of your favorite books, one a day, for seven days. On the seventh day, nominate someone and challenge them to do the same.

Multiple people nominated me, so I gave in and posted seven covers. Although the original challenge specified that the covers be posted without explanation or review, I briefly explained and reviewed my choices.

Here's the first one.


Day One of the seven-day book challenge.

The hardest thing is going to be picking just seven books.

In fact, I'm going to cheat. This first book is actually one story in four books: The Lord of the Rings, including The Hobbit, written as a preface to the trilogy.

I first encountered The Lord of the Rings as a freshman in college, when I picked up a paperback-edition boxed set for $6.00, on my way back to the dorms for lunch. I disappeared into my room and didn't come out, except for meals, for 72 hours. By then I had finished the books, and my life had been changed.

This is an absorbing adventure, full of deep magic, deep wisdom, and all of the good and evil of humanity, on display against an epic backdrop of epic-backdropness.

If the movies are great, it's because they were built on a great foundation. This is the foundation. Read it to your kids at night. Read it to yourself, over and over. Take notes in the margin. Stick quotations on your bathroom mirror. Let it fill your life with its richness.





No comments: